Monday, December 1, 2014

Tis' The Season To Start New Things

I have been thinking about reviving this old blog for about a year but there are already a lot of words out there.  So many things to read...  But this week I was really convicted about ending this year well.  I want to take quality time with my family this December and make memories with my three fun, crazy, beautiful kiddos (o, and my main squeeze).  Here is what I realized though, I need accountability.  This is where this blog comes into play.  I want to do one intentional thing with my kids every day in December.  One craft, or act of random kindness, or service project, or neighbor visit, or baking extravaganza, or book...one thing where we look at each other, not a screen, have fun and rehearse the really meaning of Christmas.   I am using this blog to record our December journey.  Maybe no one will read this but me and that is great (it will be a great record for things to do again next year!).  But, maybe someone will read this and find something they would want to try with their family this season (I'm all about sharing ideas, my creativity will last about 4 days on its own).

Here are a couple of things we are going to do as a family everyday this month:
We absolutely love the Jesus Storybook Bible and most all things by Sally Lloyd-Jones.
We just found out that there is an advent guide to go along with the Jesus Storybook Bible (http://adrielbooker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/jesus-storybook-advent.pdf) and are so excited!  We will be journeying through it at dinner each night.   We are also lighting our advent candles and praying together afterwards.
Also, we will be doing our first ever advent calendar. 

They can hardly stand it that we aren't completing the entire picture tonight.  This will be a great lesson in anticipation and patience. 
Here is our activity for Day 1: 
I don't want every day to involve something we had to purchase.  Most days I want us to use things from our house or do an activity together without stuff.  However, I must be real, I am flying by the seat of my pants here and didn't map out a plan until this morning.  So, we spent the morning decorating the kitchen windows with our $.97 Walmart window clings.  They loved it!  First, they love stickers and couldn't believer there were stickers that we could put on the windows.  We had a lot of fun design our trains, talking about where they were headed and about today being the first day of December.   And, who doesn't love fun for $.97.  

So, if anyone else is reading this please comment and tell me some of your favorite Christmas crafts, activities, etc. to add to our list!   Also, a lot of things on the blog are outdated...maybe by Christmas we will have everything updated :)

5 comments:

The Lasleys said...

My wife is awesome. I'm lucky to have her! :) - Main Squeeze

Bethany said...

Yay, awesome, Lindsay! I didn't even know you guys had a blog until now. Maybe we can keep each other motivated to spend this season being present with our kiddos!

Gretchen Magruder said...

I will read anything you write.....and I continue to be in awe of what a great mom/campus minister/wife you are!

oh, and I'm terrible at following blogs, so I hope you keep posting links on FB :)

Unknown said...

Paper chains! Caroling? Hot cocoa drinking... That's a craft right? Also, I'm excited you are blogging again. I will be reading friend!

The Lasleys said...

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
Emily, are you going to carol with us :) The boys would love it.