Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Special Delivery

We made it to day two!  Whew...

My kids love mail.  They love sending letters and they love receiving letters.  They rush to the door when they hear the mailman drop off things in our mailbox.  They especially love coloring pictures or cutting out shapes and mailing them to their grandparents.  I really think this love of mail developed from watching Daniel Tiger and the episode where Daniel mails a letter to his dad. (so much of my life stems from an idea or concept my children saw on Daniel Tiger, right parents?)  In light of this, today's focus was on something we could send in the mail.  And really, who doesn't like receiving something besides bills in the mail?  :)

Kid's Part: 


We had some leftover finger paint from a Thanksgiving craft we did last month ($2.30 for 6 jars at Walmart).  We used toilet paper rolls to make green circles in the shape of a Christmas tree...or attempted to do that.  Then we finger printed on ornaments.  Super easy and kept their attention for 45 minutes.  

Samuel created the middle tree in this picture and claims a beanstalk is growing out of the Christmas tree.  I think this is a sign that Ethan has made us read Jack and the Beanstalk no less than 100x in the last couple of months...even after I hid it on a different shelf of his bookshelf.  

Parent's Part:
The boys decided on some alumni and students who will receive these beauties.  Now, we get the fun part of writing letters to these alums and students.  I need the extra push to make me actually sit down and do this.  I love writing encouragement cards but it usually isn't high enough on the to-do list to actually happen.  I know how impactful it was the times David and I received cards post graduation from the Magruders and older students who had poured into us.  It really meant something that they were still thinking about our faith journeys.  We are blessed to be a part of this large faith family.  

Teamwork for the win.  


No comments: