Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Prepare the way

Passage: John 3:27-30 (New Living Translation)
27
John replied, “No one can receive anything unless God gives it from heaven. 28 You yourselves know how plainly I told you, ‘I am not the Messiah. I am only here to prepare the way for him.’ 29 It is the bridegroom who marries the bride, and the best man is simply glad to stand with him and hear his vows. Therefore, I am filled with joy at his success. 30 He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.

Thoughts: I am amazed at John the Baptist's humility. He knew his place, he knew the role that God had planned for him and he wanted to live it to the fullest extent. John was here to prepare the way for Jesus and he set about doing. He preached to people. He told them about Jesus. He never took any credit for being great because he knew the one that was so much greater than him was here. I love how in my Bible this section is labeled John the Baptist exalts Jesus. That is just what he did! He knew that his attention and status as crazy religious guy was going to be pushed aside for attention for Jesus. He says it so humbly, without trying to cling to his status or ego, "He must become greater and greater and I must become less and less." In my life I want to prepare the way. I want to do my part in preparing for Jesus' return. I want to live a life that shows Jesus to others and I want to not be afraid to tell people about the Messiah.

Prayer: Lord Jesus you are King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Thank you for being our Savior. I want John the Baptist's words to be prayer. I want you to become greater and greater in my life and for me to decrease. Please show me how I can be preparing the way for your return right now. Open my eyes. Praise you and in your name I pray. Amen

Peace out, Lindsey

No comments: