Sunday, November 2, 2008

elections!

The other day Linds and I were talking, and all of the sudden it dawned on one of us: "hey we're voting on Tuesday..." We were both shocked by how quickly time had flown during the campaigning season. With the voting booth right around the corner, it seems fitting to spend some time making some final decisions about the issues.

In considering how I'll vote, as a believer in Christ, I want to vote with Jesus' priorities in mind. But what are those? The Christian culture that I grew up in had me associate Christianity only with the Right. Interestingly enough, the Christian culture I encountered in college had me associate Christianity with the Left. It became clear to me during college that God is not a Republican, a Democrat or part of any other group in which we want to box Him.

So since I don't believe I should vote along party lines, I'm finding myself having a hard time discerning who to vote for in this election. It seems like any time I think I've decided, based upon an issue or a certain set of issues, I find another issue for the candidate that I do not support.

Some questions that are shaping this decision making process for me this last year:

1.)Which candidate will best represent the poor, the widow, the orphaned and the oppressed?
This year, God has really been showing me in His Word just how interested He is in justice for the poor, the orphaned, the widow and the oppressed. Though I think the call is first and foremost a personal one, I'm also convinced I have an opportunity to be representing Him with my vote.

2.)How do I decide whether to be an advocate for the lives of all of the unborn(whom God loves), or the lives of all the people in other "enemy" countries such as Afghanistan and Iraq(whom God loves)?

3.)Which candidate is most interested in preserving the environment God has given us?


What are the questions shaping your election decision? Do you have similar or different experiences, views, etc.?

-dave

No comments: